Saturday, September 5, 2009

05/09/2009 Lion Dance on Stilt

Starting from July, the Penang State Government have started a series of programs which will be held once a week on every Saturday at Esplanade, Penang.

5th of Sept, which is the past Saturday, a Chinese cultural presentation was presented at the Esplanade - Lion Dance. Lion dance? Sounds boring, well, this is no normal Lion Dance, but it's the Lion Dance performed on stilts, which is harder and kinda dangerous.

In order to get a good place to snap the photos, I arrived at the Esplanade one and a half hour before the performance starts. The weather was cloudy and seems going to rain, luckily the direction of the wind blew the clouds away, so I was managed to have some nice photography session.

The show started at 8:00 PM with Dragon dance, I did snapped some photos of the Dragon Dance, unfortunately, the results are not satisfying, so I just skipped the photos of the Dragon Dance. After that, the main performance starts - Lion Dance on Stilts, which was performed by a team of Lion Dance performers from Penang.

At first, I had tried to used lower ISO - 400 to capture the photos since flash is not allowed. Unfortunately, ISO 400 was not enough to cater the situation, so I switched to ISO 800, thanks to my Tamron SP90mm, I was managed to capture my photos with f/2.8 wide aperture at faster shutter speed, and the outcome is quite sharp and the colors are nice. (Btw, I had turned off high ISO noise reduction to obtain more details)





































The following photo was snapped using Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4.5.







0 comments:

Post a Comment