Wednesday, July 29, 2009

25/7/2009 Georgetown - UNESCO World Heritage Site Part 1

Last Saturday was the first anniversary for Georgetown declared as UNESCO World Heritage Site. Georgetown and Melacca are the only two states that declared as UNESCO World Heritage Site in Malaysia, due to both of the states are recognized as having a unique architectural and cultural townscape without parallel anywhere in East and Southeast Asia (as stated in Wikipedia).

Since it was the first anniversary, the Penang State Government had hold a celebration for this special day. Few areas within Georgetown have been opened to the public for visitation in the evening which normally close at the evening, and there was many cultural presentation as well.

In fact, the activities was started at the morning, due to my working hour, I only attended the activities at the evening which was started at 6:30 PM.

After I parked my car near the Esplanade at 5:30 PM, I headed to my first destination, the Han Jiang Association or known as Teo Chew Association.

As I passed by a temple, I took a few photos of it.

Photobucket
The temple that I walked pass as I heading to Han Jiang Association

Photobucket
A statue located at the temple, there're two of them. It looks like a Cinnamon Roll to me :P

Photobucket
A dragon sculpture besides the pillar

Photobucket


Photobucket
The shop of a sign board maker

Not far from the Han Jiang Association, I came to an Indian temple, as I heard that it was the first Indian temple in Georgetown.

Photobucket
The first Indian temple in Georgetown, is it true?

Photobucket
The friendly Indian uncle sat at the temple doorstep allowed me to take a photo of him

When I reached the Han Jiang Association, the Chinese cultural show was not yet started, so I just went into the compound of the Han Jiang Association to look around.

Photobucket
The uncle was making a basket by using cane, it's a traditional craftsmanship, not many people are familiar with this craftsmanship anymore

Photobucket
The uncle is patiently weaving the basket cane by cane

Photobucket
Many cane made products in the background

Photobucket
Some of the cane made products

Photobucket
This is the container which Chinese will usually use it to steam cook the dim sum

Photobucket
The Han Jiang Association


To be continue.....

0 comments:

Post a Comment